20 Reasons To Have Sex
I have been navigating these blogs and I am sick to death of women making excuses and DEMANDING thei right to refuse their husbands sex. When I point out valid reasons why women should take care of their husband’s sexual needs, women come out of the wood work to call me a pervert, a misogynist and worse. All too often when a man critiques a woman she becomes vicious in her verbal attack in retaliation rather than dealing with the critique. Misandry (reverse sexism by women against men) is every bit as bad as misogony. Sex is one of the big 3 that couples fight about and break up over. It is the children who suffer because of their parents inability to resolve problems. So read what another relationship professional has to say about sex. According to Dr. Adam Sheck, “The Passion Doctor,” there are twenty reasons to have sex, even if you’re not quite in the mood. My work as a couples counselor is to help you create passion in your relationship. Sexual passion is certainly one strong contributor to overall passion. According to Drs. Patricia Love and Steven Stosny, “Studies show that, when things are going well, sex contributes only 15 percent to the overall satisfaction of a relationship. But if things aren’t going well, it contributes 85 percent to the dissatisfaction.” In keeping with this theme of passion, I present to you the following, excerpted with permission from the book How To Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It by Drs. Love Twenty Reasons to Have Sex When You Don’t Feel Like It
1. Because you said so Even though you may not have promised to “love, honor, and have sex once a week” when you made a commitment to your relationship, it was understood that sex would be part of that bargain. Imagine how the marriage rates would go down if people said, “I’ll marry you, but don’t expect sex.” If you polled one thousand people on the street and asked them, “Is it reasonable to expect to have to have sex when you are married?” the overwhelming majority would say yes. If you expect a monogamous commitment from your partner, then it stands to reason that you will be a cooperative sex partner.
2. Sex helps you forget Oxytocin, which triggers orgasm, has an amnesic effect that lasts up to five hours. So for a period of time you forget that he maxed out your Visa card or she was an hour late getting home from work. Women get an additional benefit. During orgasm that parts of the brain that govern fear, anxiety, and stress are switched off. (Faking orgasm gives no such benefit.) Sex Makes Our Brains Bigger. Seriously.
3. Sex rewires you for pleasure Every time you share a positive experience with your partner, your brain comes to associate him or her with pleasure. You can transform any relationship simply by increasing the number of enjoyable times you share together.
4. Sex puts the “P” back in partnership Passion is what separates your relationship with your intimate partner from those with girlfriends and buddies. Yes, you two are best friends and confidants, but without sex you will not have passion. The following are from a 1997 study in the British Medical Journal-
5. Heightened sense of smell After sex, production of prolactin surges, causing stem cells in the brain to develop new neurons in the brain’s smell center (olfactory bulb).
6. Weight loss Rambunctious sex burns a minimum of two hundred calories, about the same as running fifteen minutes on a treadmill. British researchers determined that the equivalent of six Big Macs can be worked off by having sex three times a week for a year.
7. Reduced depression Prostaglandin, a hormone found in semen, modulates female hormones. Orgasm releases endorphins, producing a sense of well-being and euphoria.
8. Pain relief During sex, levels of oxytocin surge five times their normal level, releasing endorphins that alleviate pain. Sex also prompts production of estrogen, which reduces the pain of PMS.
9. Healthier heart Women who have more sex have higher levels of estrogen, which protects against heart disease.
10. Cure for the common cold Once-a-week sex produces 30 percent higher levels of immunoglobulin A, which boosts the immune system.
11. Better bladder control Sex strengthens the pelvic muscles that control the flow of urine.
12. Peppy prostate Some urologists believe they see a relationship between infrequency of ejaculation in men and cancer in the prostate. In this case solo sex works just as well, but why out on all the other benefits?
13. Shiny hair, glowing skin For women, extra estrogen from orgasm makes hair shine. Sweat produced during sex cleanses the pores and makes skin glow. Serotonin produces the afterglow of sex.
14. Calming effect Sex is ten times more effective than Valium, with no side effects. The (Very Sexy) Benefits Of An Empty Nest
15. Relief for a stuffy nose Really. Sex is a natural antihistamine. It can even help combat hay fever and asthma.
16. Firmer tummy and butt Regular sex can firm your tummy and butt, plus improve posture.
17. Boosts immune system Endorphins stimulate immune-system cells that fight disease.
18. Forever young Sex actually slows down the aging process. It lowers cortisol levels in the bloodstream, which reduces stress and slows down the aging process.
19. Protection against Alzheimer’s and osteoporosis Women who have more sex have higher levels of estrogen, which protects against Alzheimer’s and osteoporosis.
20. Euphoria Who wouldn’t want more? The best way to get a natural high is sex! 3 Ways Hot Weather Leads To Good Sex And finally, do you have any reasons YOU’D like to add to this list? Please comment on this post with your best reasons to have sex and I’ll publish a follow up blog post. Thanks so much, Dr. Adam Sheck